Thursday, March 19, 2009

My thoughts

I went to a student led conference, like a parent teacher interview, with Caroline's teacher.  It open my eyes to how I am oblivious to what my children are doing and what is happening with them.  I sort of get bogged down with the mundane things if life.  I forget to actually talk to my children.  I need to ask Caroline how her day was, who are her friends, what does she like. I need to really recognize what each child needs and how each differs. I think this gets a lot harder with more children.  I am just realizing that Caroline has a hard time focusing in school, she often doesn't get her work done because she is distracted.   I need to address issues like these. Ava needs special attention,  she needs a lot of it.  I need to remember to play with Margaret and interact with her,  she loves to sing little songs, it is just taking the time to do it.  The thing that I am really bad at is giving my children affection.  Caroline already hates hugs, probably because I am so bad at giving them.  I am not a very affectionate person and I have remind myself to do it.  I am not totally negative and I don't think I am doing a horrible job it is just that I need to be more aware of my kids needs and differences.  My posts have become so negative and gloomy, I do have a good happy life, it is just easy to only see the negative.  

3 comments:

  1. Sarabeth, I think that you are doing a great job. I think that these few events in your life happen to most people far more often. You are far more positive than negative. You are far more patient than impatient. You are far more loving than not. I think that you are a great mom and your kids are doing great!!! We love you guys alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lovely post. And I thought that before getting to the end where you sort of explained you felt your posts were negative. I'm not just trying to make you feel better. Because you didn't say that each child was hard so you needed to work on them. You just said each child was different. No implications. Good luck being pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was gonna say what betsy said, but she said it better, so ditto. you're awesome. thanks for babysitting last night. See? you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete