So yesterday maybe I was a bit negative, but today was a good day. I would like give my definition of a good day. What for me is a successful day, as a mother, wife and person. Today I woke up early (this is usually a sign that the day will be good), I showered first (I have given up on exercising) and everyone was up by 7:15. Caroline practised cello and it went well, Reuben even wanted to practise the cello for a few minutes. We had egg mcmuffins and off Ryan and Caroline went. I cleaned up breakfast and decided it was such a nice day we should go outside. (Margaret has recently discovered that outside is fun). We went on a walk to see some cows and by the time we came back Margaret was ready for a nap. She went to bed and the rest of the morning was filled with practising words with Reuben (which I never do and am realizing that he may not be catching on as well as Caroline did and that I may have to work on it). We made a craft, read some books and then they watched a little show while I prepared lunch (a well balanced meal of tuna sandwiches, fried potatoes, apples and cucumbers) and prepared a nice casserole for dinner.
Yes you may be grossed out by the word casserole, but yes this was a true blue casserole, the type of meal that is in one dish. Casseroles are my new thing, mostly because I like saying we are having a casserole for dinner and nobody knows what that is. Suprisingly I actually rarely make them. In case you are interested it included chopped up chicken, brocolli, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms with two cans of mushroom soup and some cheddar cheese thrown on. This was all covered with boughten Stove top dressing. Not a typical meal that I would ever make but yes it was a hit with some, (Austin and Ryan) and not with others (most of the children) but it was ready and all I had to do was throw it in the oven.
The afternoon we went to play and stay. (always a success because the kids love it and my house doesn't turn into a disaster zone) Practising all got done today, the kids played happily after school with a friend then watched a little show just before bed and they were all in bed by 8:30. A grand success.
The key to my successful days is that I am on top of things, this means that I am one step ahead of my children. When I can do this the house doesn't turn into a disaster, I can spend time with them and I feel productive. Bad days include them watching hours of t.v mainly so I can get reorganized without them creating more messes, yelling at bedtime, supper not ready, bad practising, Ava's meltdowns, a teething Margaret etc...
For my records I do have the occasional good day.
I was so delighted with your day. It made me smile. I know you say the key is to stay on top of things but it still doesn't work for me. Last night Henry ate two huge bowls of soup for dinner. (That made me so happy.) Then, thinking we'd be set for lunch, I set out the soup again and he wouldn't touch it.
ReplyDelete