Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ryan's mishaps





Well, lets just say I think I'll keep my insurance on my dear husband. I guess I shouldn't say things like that but he doesn't have a great track record. It always seems to happen right before a major event, his rebar fall was right before we were ready to frame our first house and now calving season has begun and he managed to break his collarbone. But things could definitely be worse. It definitely has forced me to become more active in the farming thing. I probably wouldn't have learned what a cow looks like when they are ready to birth. I probably wouldn't have learned how to drive the big truck and get water (which is something I really need to know how to do, so this is actually a good thing) I probably wouldn't have ever gone out in -20 weather to break the water for the cows (for Jenny-Lynn's sake the dugout, not the actual cows water). So this has been a learning lesson for me that I may have to be involved in the farm life here and I have enjoyed the few little things I've done to help out. But nothing seems to slow him down, he is about back to normal after a week, except that he can't lift anything up with it. But he does have mobility and seems to be able to do almost everything (not pull calves, which hopefully won't happen). I didn't even get to learn to drive the tractor, we'll save this for when he brakes his leg.
I guess I should give the details that has led to me doing a little bit more (but not much)
We went to Whitefish for three days over the family day week. All of my siblings were there and we stayed in a house on the hill and skied for three days. It was tons of fun. The weather was a bit cold but the kids loved skiing and I even got out everyday for a few hours. Caroline and Reuben love it and are able to go all over the mountain. Caroline is more cautious and is really improving. I went once with Reuben and lets just say he is all boy, a bit out of control. Ava loved it and can now go up the two chairs and just follows you down, she even went to the top this time. Even Margaret had a little turn one afternoon. She suprised me and lasted for two hours, she did really good with her Dad.
Anyways thanks to my Mom and Dad for the fun, it is something we love to do. It was great to see all the kids exhausted by the end of the day.
Anyways on the third morning the Dad's went out for a few runs by themselves. Ryan had been teaching kids probably the whole time, so he deserved a few hours to himself. At about 11:00 they came down the mountain and at the very end, a green run, the guys were all stopped and Ryan was going to stop beside them. He must have been going quite fast because he caught an edge and just hit his shoulder just right. They said he new he had broken something. Thus he got a ride in the snowmobile medic thing. (not many of us can say we've done this)
Well he had broken his collarbone and done a really good job of it. It was broken in five pieces. They did surgery the next day in Kalispell, our insurance company wanted him to come home, but luckily the doctor said the bone could break through the skin. It was great his was in at 9:00 and out at 1:00. We jumped in the car, he stopped at Sportsman, (everyone thought he was crazy but he did have a block so he couldn't feel anything) we jumped in the car and came home. He took a few days off and some painkillers (which made him quite interesting, he was really out of it). His shoulder has a big titanium plate and seven screws. Hopefully it won't affect him to much, it doesn't seem to be slowing him down much. He's got some great scars to show from it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is pretty crazy! I just wonder who Reuben is like after hearing about that! Glad Ry is OK though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you only going to blog when someone goes to the hospital now?

    ReplyDelete