So we raised four pigs this year. I was trying to find a picture of them, but I guess I didn't take one. They were wiener pigs that came home in the back of Gordon McCue's minivan. Ryan took them to market in the fall and they took a couple of weeks to butcher and process. So he phones me one day and tells me that the place had called him with the bill, to my shock it was a large sum of money. (lets just say that last year it cost about $500 and this year it was about triple that sum) I was sort of freaking out, we didn't know if this place had just ripped us off or what had happened. We soon found out when Ryan came home with 24 boxes of pork. I guess the pigs were triple the size they were last year. Who knew! So now I was really freaking out because we had to find freezer space for it all. We had pre sold a little of it before, but we had a lot more to get rid of. We downsized the boxes from three to two, we phoned Aunt Kathy and she came and took half a pig (we can always rely on her if it something to put into freezer, if she can't fit it she will just go buy another freezer or drive to Cardston an put it in Juliannes freezer), then between my freezer and Baldry's freezers we did it. Once it was all in freezers then I had Ryan put it for sale on Kijiji, sell it a school and phone all our family trying to sell it. It all worked out I think I have a pig and half in my freezer but we are happily eating it and we got rid of the rest. Thank-you to all our buyers. Maybe next year we will pre-sell the pig, or maybe next year we will not raise pig. I think I have enough pig in my freezer to last a while.
Here is Reuben with the fruits of his labours, bacon from our pigs and eggs from our chickens.


No comments:
Post a Comment