We had our Halloween party this last weekend and I think it was a great success. It is the second year that we've had it so I guess it is becoming a tradition. My kids were so excited about it. They love to help decorate and Reuben told everyone he knew that we were having caramel apples. My parties are definitely not anything close to Martha Stewart, probably because my kids do most of the decorating (which is actually a step up from me doing it). I was little nervous when at first I thought I hadn't invited anyone and then all of a sudden there was the potential of having 36 kids here and 20 adults. But luckily, (no offence to those who couldn't come) we had a few less people. There were probably 25 kids. It was a good sized party, all Ryan's siblings that are down here came and then some of our Raymond friends. Lots of couples dressed up. We were lucky enough to have Granny and Grandpa Steed here. They brought us dry ice and pumpkins and Granny held Rose the whole time, so that was tons of help. We carved pumpkins, had a dance with glow sticks (a big hit) had lots of good food and tossed a beanbag into a large cardboard pumpkin (created by Ryan). I think people had fun. We love having a house that can have parties in. I think we must have been deprived of entertaining people because we seem to have some sort of party every week and we love it.
I spent one afternoon making caramel apples and I was so mad at myself because last year they were so good but I couldn't remember the recipe. So this year it took me a few tries to get it right. They were good in the end but it took awhile.
Recipe for caramel apples
1c brown sugar
1 c cream
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 c corn syrup
boil until 245,
The trick is to do it fast, have help. Roll washed apples in caramel quickly, then roll in something else my favorite is almonds/chocolate but you can do whatever cinnamon and sugar, smarties, pecans/chocolate/marshmallows(didn't work great) etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment